Does anyone ever reflect how absurd this hobby is?

Silound

Swamp Gorilla
Disclaimer: This is reflecting on some wry humor I had today, not a rant.

We call this a hobby to relax and enjoy, and yet some of us spend hours beating ourselves up taking one for the team.
We say it's a social thing and that no good smoke is complete without company of some sort, yet so many of us would rather smoke alone oftentimes.
We say it's a personal reflective thing, and that enjoyment is exactly what you want out of it, yet some people toil furiously and always feel like there's no satisfaction till it's done.
We slave away to make money in life....to literally set on fire between our lips.
We bust our asses to find and protect good sources for whatever we want to smoke....only to give away the smokes or information to other brothers and sisters.
We read reviews, review and write about cigars, and always are trying something new....that we have no idea if we'll like or if it will taste like the dog rocket's rocket.
We sometimes travel great distances to smoke with someone, see something related to smoking, or to buy the smokes we want.
We (some of us) spend hours upon hours of time categorizing, organizing, and inventorying our smokes, only to have one crazed afternoon where all of that work flies out the window because a new box arrived and now we have to "play Tetris" with our stash again.

I'm sure everyone can add something to this list, but doesn't it strike any of you as odd exactly how much work goes into this hobby?

Strangely, I'd not give it up for the world....well maybe if the world threw in a box of good smokes I could be persuaded. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bax
Disclaimer: This is reflecting on some wry humor I had today, not a rant.

We call this a hobby to relax and enjoy, and yet some of us spend hours beating ourselves up taking one for the team.
We say it's a social thing and that no good smoke is complete without company of some sort, yet so many of us would rather smoke alone oftentimes.
We say it's a personal reflective thing, and that enjoyment is exactly what you want out of it, yet some people toil furiously and always feel like there's no satisfaction till it's done.
We slave away to make money in life....to literally set on fire between our lips.
We bust our asses to find and protect good sources for whatever we want to smoke....only to give away the smokes or information to other brothers and sisters.
We read reviews, review and write about cigars, and always are trying something new....that we have no idea if we'll like or if it will taste like the dog rocket's rocket.
We sometimes travel great distances to smoke with someone, see something related to smoking, or to buy the smokes we want.
We (some of us) spend hours upon hours of time categorizing, organizing, and inventorying our smokes, only to have one crazed afternoon where all of that work flies out the window because a new box arrived and now we have to "play Tetris" with our stash again.

I'm sure everyone can add something to this list, but doesn't it strike any of you as odd exactly how much work goes into this hobby?

Strangely, I'd not give it up for the world....well maybe if the world threw in a box of good smokes I could be persuaded. :)

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this :D

good post:r, wish i had this problem. i smoke mine faster than i can organize, catorgorize or inventory. its no hobby anymore, i think im addicted!:ss

Add something that refers to the spouse hating the fact that you do it and your list is complete!!:hn
Related to that issue is the special logistical tactics needed for the stealthy flow of goods in & out of the house without having the wife notice... then the financial accounting part to somehow launder the cash allocations for this insane hobby. :)

Related to that issue is the special logistical tactics needed for the stealthy flow of goods in & out of the house without having the wife notice... then the financial accounting part to somehow launder the cash allocations for this insane hobby. :)

Most dedicated cigar smokers are probably fairly adept at smuggling by nature of the hobby :)

Strange thing is, I'm sure there are many here with more than just this one hobby (err..obsession)... Wine, photography, coin collections, cars, artwork, knifes, exotic dancers...

C'mon everyone, come clean! :ss

Almost every hobby involves some sacrifice/expense of time, money, etc. with great rewards in the end (or the mouth in this case). :ss

And the problem is ???

Great post !! I think everyone thinks and feels the same way at times but then we get over it. It's a never ending addiction. Smoking them, buying them, collecting them, organizing them, sharing them, typing posts about them, it really never ends. All we can do is try to contain it.
:ss

Strange thing is, I'm sure there are many here with more than just this one hobby (err..obsession)... Wine, photography, coin collections, cars, artwork, knifes, exotic dancers...

C'mon everyone, come clean! :ss

Yes, Guitars - Les Paul$, Strat$, Tele'$, Martin$, Taylor$....on and on, and gear too!!

Stomp'N'Rock,

Joseph

Back