Habanos Torres (Mesa, AZ)

hornitosmonster

5 Rings and Counting
I was able to Visit Tim in his store in Mesa on Saturday. I told him I was from C.S and he was like excited. He told me he has been reading the board and is happy to fulfill any orders or questions we may have. He will do orders over the phone but if you are in the Phoenix area his store is a must visit.

So to the business at hand:

Tim ask me what do I want as he would roll me any type I wanted. I told him surprise me...but make it strong. He said ok, I will roll you a cigar that normally sells for $25 but for CS members it would be only $15 (in store only I believe). I say great, sounds good. He said I'm going to roll two of the same and I will smoke one with you and I say even better.

The man is a master roller. He broke out his tools and started rolling...while explaining the Old Cuban Style of Rolling Cigars. I was amazing to watch the man work. He told me if he used the technique used today he would be done with it but he takes pride in his work and tradition and wanted to show me the old style (very cool). He rolled me a dark beauty with 20 and I believe 30 year old tobacco. He did not cut any corners or skimp on the tobacco. I don't know the ring gauge...all I know is that it did not fit in my Palio to be cut..:D

At this point I wish I had my Camera (sorry no in store ****)

So we go outside to smoke our cigars (he is in the processes of making an indoor smoking room). It was a prefect day in Phoenix and I did not mind sitting outside in front of his store enjoying this gem he just rolled.

The cigar itself was exceptional. Very smooth but very flavorful and full of punch (he wasn't lying when he said he made is strong). I nubbed the stogie. It burned perfectly and had a fine ash. Never did it burn uneven or hot. The tobacco was wonderful as he explained it that his cigars do not need to sit because they have already been aged and it is stored at 70%. The draw was perfect. Throughout the smoke we talked about cigars, the history or Cuban cigars and tobacco (which comes from Mexico), his family history and tradition. A very great conversation to go along with the great cigars. If you go to his shop ask him to tell you the story about the Native American Fellow who paints his art...:r I think I was in his store at least two hours.

He had a lot of regulars come in and buy smokes. At one point he was gone 10-15 mins and he put his stogie down to go in and help out. His stogie never went out..even after the long time of being away from it (I swear, I didnt mooch off his..:r ). My Bro In Law thought it was close to 20 mins but nah...I say 15. Regardless, That is how well they burned.

Tim was very cool and wants to start a Club Stogie Wall on his website. He will takes pictures of us members with the cigar he rolled us. He wants the pics to be on his wall and on his website. Very Cool.

I bought three more before I left (All primos). He gave me a great price on them. I did take pictures of them ones I brought home

I will post below

Last edited:
Re: HabanosTorres Mesa AZ

01.jpg

Re: HabanosTorres Mesa AZ

Tim is great, and his cigars are even better! Thats cool that he is making a CS wall... I will have to go in and get my pic taken with him next time I go in there. I think Friday I will stop in on my way home from work and pick one up. I don't want to take Tim for granted when I only live 20 minutes from his store

I don't want to take Tim for granted when I only live 20 minutes from his store

Yeah, I told him when I move to Phoenix (end of this year) that I would be a regular in his store. Hopefully he stays in Phoenix as he has lived in Miami, New Orleans, Houston, and I can't remember were else.

The guy is very cool. He tells great stories and is easy to talk to. His Cigars are out of this world...I highly recommend them. Like I said, if you are in the area a stop by his store is a must.

The more you go in his store the more of a discount you can receive, I just wish they were a little cheaper. But damn there good. His was the first cigar I smoked, he was in my intro to club stogie, although it got lost in the big crash...:ss

Im gonna be in Phoenix next week for about 5 days. Looks like I'll have to go pay Torres a visit. (after I enjoy some cold ones at Four Peaks Brewery !!)

Fantastic summary hornitosmonster!!!
I had virtually the exact same experience with my first visit with Tim; I was sitting here smiling while reading your post because I can just see him talking and explaining everything in the unique way he does.... the guy is a true gem.
Like you, I hope he never leaves the area!!! That is, unless I have to move, in which case I hope he moves wherever I am! LOL. J/K

But yeah, the prices are not exactly what one would call cheap (INITIALLY), but he definetely does have to recoup on that STELLAR tobacco he's using, which can't be cheap itself. Plus, they're worth EVERY dollar in taste!! Like others have said here and elsewhere, the more you visit and the better he knows you, the better of a deal he cuts you. Much like most shops I'd say. I've witnessed his generosity with long-term clients, it is significant to say the least...... so keep visiting him!

Speaking of, I have some surplus dough this week, I think it's time to pay a visit. If anyone else is planning on going this week let me know and maybe we could meet up there and herf one with Tim. It would have to be in the late evening as that's when he's most likely there....... (9PM closing time is only an advertised time.... I've sat there with him til 11PM sometimes).

I know two regulars, Bob the 1911 freak from Tucson and Gary the Sales Maestro from Chandler.... I wonder if either of them frequent this board ? If so, I'm the guy in the Glock shirt that y'all kept hassling about my plastic toys (at which time I schooled you both..... LOL JK)

Phoenix herf ?
Where ? (Habanos Torres would good!)
When ?

I'm there.....

Back