Heartfelt beads RH% - what is right?

Munkey

Howler Monkey
OK, I'm confused. Everything I read about humidor RH is 70%. It's like a mantra. Then I read on Cigarmony.com that 65% is more preferred. Then, after 55 pages of looking at everyone's humidors (damn long thread, i'm loving) everyone seems to be using 60% red cap beads in their Humi's. I have the two oz. 70% black cap tubes in my Tupperdors and they seem to be fine. I want to convert all my sponge humidifiers to beads, but I'm not sure which ones are best. I realize from Cigarmony's article that a lot is personal preference, but I don't know what my preference is yet. lol HELP!

70% RH comes from the 70/70 rule of the old days. Here's a discussion about the 70/70 rule.

65% is generally recommended for cuban cigars. They tend to smoke better in that range.

60% and lower combined with lower temperature (high 50's to low 60's) is used to slow down the cigar aging. Hongkong collectors are big proponents of this.

Lower RH, usually 60% is used for dry boxing. Apparently the British likes to smokes their cigar on the drier side. Dry boxing might help with plugged cigars.

Ok, this actually comes up a lot.

I THINK the majority of people on CS perfer 65%....I do.

A lot of gorillas use 70% too..... but the minority I beleive.

I go with 65%, but thinnk some cigars would smoke better a little lower (or I should dry box). I especially think CC's and Pepin blends smoke best a little below 65%.

I think the red caps on the tubes you are seeing are from Heartfelt Ind. When you order empty tubes they send them with red caps....(or they did when I bought them). So just because you see red caps..it doesn't mean people are using 60% beads.
Just recently Heartfelt started sending different color caps for different RH% when you buy tubes with beads in them.

I guess that makes sense. I was like, wow, everyone is using 60%.

I think the red caps on the tubes you are seeing are from Heartfelt Ind. When you order empty tubes they send them with red caps....(or they did when I bought them). So just because you see red caps..it doesn't mean people are using 60% beads.
Just recently Heartfelt started sending different color caps for different RH% when you buy tubes with beads in them.

Thanks for the links. Good reading. I'm in a bit of a quandry. My house is super dry in the winter and moist in the summer. In an effort to keep up in the winter, I'm thinking the 70 would be better and then perhaps rotate to the 65 in the summer, but that seems like a lot of work. lol Perhaps I should just go with the 65 and be done with it.

70% RH comes from the 70/70 rule of the old days. Here's a discussion about the 70/70 rule.

65% is generally recommended for cuban cigars. They tend to smoke better in that range.

60% and lower combined with lower temperature (high 50's to low 60's) is used to slow down the cigar aging. Hongkong collectors are big proponents of this.

Lower RH, usually 60% is used for dry boxing. Apparently the British likes to smokes their cigar on the drier side. Dry boxing might help with plugged cigars.

Thanks for the links. Good reading. I'm in a bit of a quandry. My house is super dry in the winter and moist in the summer. In an effort to keep up in the winter, I'm thinking the 70 would be better and then perhaps rotate to the 65 in the summer, but that seems like a lot of work. lol Perhaps I should just go with the 65 and be done with it.

or, just order extra beads. The more beads the less maintenance. You can't put too many beads in(other then space). Extra beads means the humidity recovers/stabilizes quicker.

65 works fine for me. I soak the beads vs spray during the winter. I reduce my beads during the summer. Actualy, summer is not a problem for me as much since I run a dehumidifier in my basement.

I got sucked into the 70/70 craze too, i got 2 tubes (good for 1080 sq inches) of blue tops at 65%, and never had a problem, the key is this: Above 70 you get mold issues, you can ALWAYS have a small 20 count at 70% for stuff you intend to smoke soon but 65% (from what i have read) is soo much safer and easier to maintain as it is closer to typical ambient humidity, either way beads are hte way to go, I like my 65% since I have had them!

Then let me step in here, I live in a place that is warm - most of the year around 80 - 90 F and the humidity is always above 90% - are the beads the best option for this case?

The best answers will win a bunch of baloons and a dancing chicken!

Well thats the plus of the beads, if you saturate them to 70% clear, meaning 70% of the beads have distilled water in them, then the other 30% are able to ABSORB ambient humidity in the event that it gets TOO humid. In your case if the humidity AS READ IN YOUR HUMIDOR is really thats hig, I would just coat 50% of the beads and try that for a week, if your still too humid, dry off the beads completely and set it in bone dry, but you have lots of options!

Well thats the plus of the beads, if you saturate them to 70% clear, meaning 70% of the beads have distilled water in them, then the other 30% are able to ABSORB ambient humidity in the event that it gets TOO humid. In your case if the humidity AS READ IN YOUR HUMIDOR is really thats hig, I would just coat 50% of the beads and try that for a week, if your still too humid, dry off the beads completely and set it in bone dry, but you have lots of options!

Thanks alot, just FYI - those figures are outside temperature but the heat and humidity are not far in the house - humidity in the humidor always start well but after a couple days it starts inching up to 75 - 80%.

Thats why I was looking for something extra powerful to help maintain a lower humidity.

If it is that high I probably wouldn't get the beads we at all.

They regulate both ways, but are much better at releasing than absorbing, IMO. The humidity here is very high in the winter and my RH is a little higher than the 65% beads. In the summer they are dead one perfect though. Seems they don't absorb as well.

If it is that high I probably wouldn't get the beads we at all.

They regulate both ways, but are much better at releasing than absorbing, IMO. The humidity here is very high in the winter and my RH is a little higher than the 65% beads. In the summer they are dead one perfect though. Seems they don't absorb as well.

So the beads work but probably will not keep humidity that is in the house at 80% down to 65% or 70%?

So the beads work but probably will not keep humidity that is in the house at 80% down to 65% or 70%?
It would, it would just take time. The biggest problem is you'll want to open it and the humidity comes back in.

If it is that high I'd go with totally dry beads though. I'd also consider going 60% and experimenting after that.

It would, it would just take time. The biggest problem is you'll want to open it and the humidity comes back in.

If it is that high I'd go with totally dry beads though. I'd also consider going 60% and experimenting after that.

Okay, thank you very much for the advice, I will be traveling up to the States in about a month so I will look for some on the internet and have them shipped over and I am a man of my word...

:bl:chk:chk:bl:chk:chk:bl:chk:chk

I hope you like them!

65% in the cabs. 60% in the drybox/desktop singles to be smoked humi. 60% in tubes in the travel humis.

Generally speaking, like my cigars for smoking in the low 60's.

Back