How do you approach cigar buying?

Bowmore

Young Ape
When purchasing cigars, what makes you pull the trigger? Do you sample some from the local B&M, then proceed to internet buying if you liked it? Is price your biggest concern?

Do you fall prey to the delicious, mouthwatering :dr reviews and impulse buy?

After reading quite a bit here, it seems people "frenzy buy" or turn into some sort of monster only to realize the damage done after they blacked out.

I guess what I am asking is what constitutes what goes into your humidor or cooledor.

When purchasing cigars, what makes you pull the trigger? Do you sample some from the local B&M, then proceed to internet buying if you liked it? Is price your biggest concern?

After reading quite a bit here, it seems people "frenzy buy" or turn into some sort of monster only to realize the damage done after they blacked out.

I guess what I am asking is what constitutes what goes into your humidor or cooledor.

100% gut feeling. To quote a famous movie line - "It might have been my sixth, or even my seventh sense"

I like to sneak up on them while they are still with the rest of the herd. Using other, less tasty ones as cover. I wait until it gets about 3 feet away- then I pounce. With one quick slashing motion I swipe the plastic card of death. Once I have the prey in my possession, I'm like a cat with a mouse; I don't kill it right away. I lock it up in its 65-degree Spanish cedar lined tomb, occasionally opening it just to see its spirit dwindling away. Lying there next to my previous victories, it knows it could be years before the torment ends. Then when the time is right I finish it off with fire. As I inhale its soul I like to reflect on the hunt, and look forward to the next.

Actually I read a lot of reviews…..

1) Get money
2) Use money to buy cigars
3) Set cigars on fire

Seriously though, I will almost always try one (or two or three if I can) before I buy a box. So far I luckily have not gotten stuck with 20 cigars that I don't like.

Often times I will order a box after trying a product line and liking one or two samples. If I am on the fence about buying a cigar, freebies can push me over the edge. For example a couple of weeks ago I ran out of CAO Brazilia GOL's which is a cigar that I keep in stock at all times. I was going to wait but TNT had an offer of 10 Changos with every box purchase. The price of the Changos was close to the price of the GOL's so I pulled the trigger. A couple of months ago I was running low on Gran Habano #5 Rothschilds and was going to order from Famous but I saw a post on HP about Cigar Biz giving 10 free for each box purchase and on a 2 box purchase, your freebies came as a box an not in a plastic bag. I ordered 4 boxes and got 2 boxes free. I will also order a product extension if it is a product that I have enjoyed in the past. Rocky is a good example. I am a sucker for his house brand smokes at Famous. I have had good luck with them and will order each new offering. Probably too much information but hope that my answer helps.

I like to sneak up on them while they are still with the rest of the herd. Using other, less tasty ones as cover. I wait until it gets about 3 feet away- then I pounce. With one quick slashing motion I swipe the plastic card of death. Once I have the prey in my possession, I'm like a cat with a mouse; I don't kill it right away. I lock it up in its 65-degree Spanish cedar lined tomb, occasionally opening it just to see its spirit dwindling away. Lying there next to my previous victories, it knows it could be years before the torment ends. Then when the time is right I finish it off with fire. As I inhale its soul I like to reflect on the hunt, and look forward to the next.

Actually I read a lot of reviews…..

You, sir, are a trained professional! :tu

The primary concern when purchasing cigars is to make sure my wife is not nearby. Secondly, I concentrate on how I can smuggle the goods in undetected.

Seriously, I try a lot of samplers to get random things to try. When I find something I like, I'll narrow the spread of the samplers a bit to be a bit more focused and less random.

I read a lot in both Top25Cigar and other sites to see what other people like in a cigar... I try to read reviews and see if they match up with my experience (taste is so subjective).

One of the more powerful tools is the "would you like fries with that" feature with some of the online vendors. When looking at a particular cigar, it is often good to see what other customers bought to look to some other cigars that I would otherwise not consider.

When I actually buy something, I make the jump from singles to boxes too quickly. I like the aging, protection and general organization a box brings vs. singles/5'ers... but I have learned the hard way that you don't want to bulk up on marginal purchases of an okay smoke in a weak moment. I used to be driven by perceived bargains... now I'm more selective now that my space is exhausted.

Seriously, I try a lot of samplers to get random things to try. When I find something I like, I'll narrow the spread of the samplers a bit to be a bit more focused and less random.

I will generally pick up at least a 5er of something before I buy a box. At the same time, I have fallen victim many times to cbids' once per week shipping. Also, if my B&M has an event, I can never quite seem to stick to my budget.

#1 is price: first I find a smoke in my price range
#2 is try to find one from a manufacturer I may have enjoyed previously
#3 try something new from that manufacturer

or

read a good review about a cigar I haven't tried yet, and impulse buy a box.:ss

I usually try cigars in the $3-5$ range. I mostly buy online but sometimes at my local B&M. If I really like them, I'll buy a box as long as it is under $100. I read review or just try sticks that peak my interest.

1. Read every word CA has to say about the cigars. They know their sh#t
2. Check out all the catalogs that are sent my away. I really enjoy the Thompsons, Holts and Jr's. Those guys hold no grudges towards anyone, and once you are part of Thompsons family, they have you for life. :tu
3. I then check out ebay for the best deals on glass top boxes of Cohibas or vintage CC's that were found in some guys basement. Yum, nothing the like the taste of old mildew and must.
4. I then head over to my local pharmacy and grocery store to compare prices. Sometimes if you sign up as a club member at Safeway or Giant (maybe Kroger in your area), then you can save some serious coinage on a box of Swishers or White Owls.
5. After all of these steps I can come to my conclusion, and take that plunge. It has been a glorious ride and looking forward to the new Vintage Cherry Parodi's. I hear 2007 was a great year for Tenn and Ky cherry tobacco.

1. Read every word CA has to say about the cigars. They know their sh#t
2. Check out all the catalogs that are sent my away. I really enjoy the Thompsons, Holts and Jr's. Those guys hold no grudges towards anyone, and once you are part of Thompsons family, they have you for life. :tu
3. I then check out ebay for the best deals on glass top boxes of Cohibas or vintage CC's that were found in some guys basement. Yum, nothing the like the taste of old mildew and must.
4. I then head over to my local pharmacy and grocery store to compare prices. Sometimes if you sign up as a club member at Safeway or Giant (maybe Kroger in your area), then you can save some serious coinage on a box of Swishers or White Owls.
5. After all of these steps I can come to my conclusion, and take that plunge. It has been a glorious ride and looking forward to the new Vintage Cherry Parodi's. I hear 2007 was a great year for Tenn and Ky cherry tobacco.
:bn Too funny!:r

Bombs, trades, PIFs, single sales. As a newbie starting out, I got to try a bunch of good smokes from some bombs sales and a PIF. As a result, I have a a better idea about most cigars from a particular manufacturer.

I do have to admit, I picked up a Jesus Fuego Corojo No 1 based on a magazine article that sounded good enough to try. But the most I'll buy is a 5er. If it's good, I'll buy more, if it's not good, I'll pass it. I may not like it, but someone will.

1. Try cigars you might like in your price range, but don't limit yourself to much on just a couple bucks. you may find some them worth it.
2. When you do find something that sets you off buy a box, smoke some now and save the rest for later. Age is always nice.
3. Never allow wife or girlfriend see your cigar collection. This can be real trouble.
4. Beware the slippery slope, once you fall down it there is no way back!

1. Try cigars you might like in your price range, but don't limit yourself to much on just a couple bucks. you may find some them worth it.
2. When you do find something that sets you off buy a box, smoke some now and save the rest for later. Age is always nice.
3. Never allow wife or girlfriend see your cigar collection. This can be real trouble.
4. Beware the slippery slope, once you fall down it there is no way back!

I agree, but with a little adjusting.
1. Same
2. Same
3. Wife thinks it is great that I do this. Vinotemp in bedroom and filling up quickly. Just didn't compliment the living room furniture.
4. I don't want to come back. LOL
5. Buy a fiver and/or sampler to try. Buy the box of those liked.

Speaking of boxes - Going to get one now.

I started out using CI`s cigar selector. It has Price, Size, and a few other questions . Then lists options based on your answers.

I generally try to buy something new everytime, unless it's something I really like and want to smoke again. But usually I'll get some that I've heard good things about or just grab something that looks good.

I generally try to buy something new everytime, unless it's something I really like and want to smoke again. But usually I'll get some that I've heard good things about or just grab something that looks good.

I'm a lot like this too. I'm still pretty new to the hobby and I like to have a lot of variety in my humidor. I almost never just blind buy though, I make sure I've read some good things before I grab something. Only ever had two full boxes in my life, and they were both gifts for graduation. Everything else either comes from samplers, trips to the shop for singles, etc.

The problem is sometimes I can't remember what I've had (like which Camachos did I just smoke from that sampler?) so I have to start saving bands and jotting down some notes...

I'm pretty standard, I guess. When I go to my local B&M, I almost always try things I haven't tried before. If I like them, the hunt is on. Sometimes I'll get a fiver and re-evaluate. Sometimes, I pop for the whole box.

I'm a sucker for "Freebies" so that can push me over the edge.

Back