Humidiy retention question...

mrglass2626

Young Chimp
Hello all,

I have a question ( I have already searched and not come up with much)...

I own one of these:
10ct-travel-case-open-ce.jpg

My question is, every time I open my humidor to retrieve one of my beloved cigars - won't the humidity level of 70% be lost or at least interfered with? Is this something I should be worried about?

Does a deep humidor keep the humid air calm at the bottom (relatively speaking)?

Plus...if anyone can hit me up with a link for using this particular type of humidifier bar I would be grateful (the instructions that came with it were diabolical at best).

Thanks for your input, wisdom and time.

beads would really help you out. also if you grab a stick and close it with in a reasonable time I don't see there being a problem with your sticks drying out.

but I would wait for a old gorilla for a definite answer.

While you wait for responses, go to the NEW GORILLA FORUM and make an introduction, also take the time to read the "Stickies"

The humid environment itself will be comprimised, but the humidity of the sticks will not be lost in such a short term. As long as the sticks are properly humidified and the seal on the travel humidor is good, the sticks can last weeks in there without even needing the humidifier :tu

While you wait for responses, go to the NEW GORILLA FORUM and make an introduction, also take the time to read the "Stickies"

The humid environment itself will be comprimised, but the humidity of the sticks will not be lost in such a short term. As long as the sticks are properly humidified and the seal on the travel humidor is good, the sticks can last weeks in there without even needing the humidifier :tu

:tpd: I don't use any humidification in my travel-dor and have kept smokes for up to two weeks with no noticable difference.

:tpd: I don't use any humidification in my travel-dor and have kept smokes for up to two weeks with no noticable difference.

I am using this as my main humidor (i'm just starting out - it's a good size for me)...just want to make sure they will keep for at least a month without damage.

I have the humidifier bar in there and my cigars are all in the cellophane as purchased. I keep the box in a cool dark place. Hopefully this should work out.

If anyone has any doubts about the time period I want to store these for or about the actual model of humidor itself, please let me know.

Thanks!

The thin yellow thing looks like dual sided foam tape meant to stick that humidifier to the surface (of something - the lid?) of the humidor.

Looks like the adhesive strip to hold the humidification unit. Can you peel the paper off of it? If you put a couple of drops of 50/50 solution in the humidifier it should keep your cigars fresh for a pretty good while in there. I would keep an eye out for mold though because the travel-dors are airtight. I would actually recommend getting a tupperware dish and some beads from Heartfelt Industries to keep your sticks in.

ps. Go on over to the New Gorilla section and introduce yourself to the jungle. I think you will enjoy your time here. :tu

Ha! It is a sticky strip....I simply assumed it was some magic-imbibed sponge which had some role to play in the humidity level keeping process.

It must seem dumb, but thanks for the help. Instructions were poorly translated and made little sense.

I have now cut out a section of foam and used the strip to stick the humidifier bar nice a flush with the foam with the grills facing up.

I used mineral water to soak the humidifier bar as per the instructions....what is this 50/50 stuff all about and how/when should I use it with my setup?

Thanks

Ha! It is a sticky strip....I simply assumed it was some magic-imbibed sponge which had some role to play in the humidity level keeping process.

It must seem dumb, but thanks for the help. Instructions were poorly translated and made little sense.

I have now cut out a section of foam and used the strip to stick the humidifier bar nice a flush with the foam with the grills facing up.

I used mineral water to soak the humidifier bar as per the instructions....what is this 50/50 stuff all about and how/when should I use it with my setup?

Thanks

50/50 solution is simply distilled water and Propylene Glycol (mixed half and half).

http://www.elighters.com/xi814.html

Thanks

:D

50/50 is a mixture of 50% Propylene Glycol solution and 50% distilled water. You can find it at most cigar shops. It helps regulate humidity and also helps inhibit the growth of mold. Also I am not sure that are supposed to be using Mineral water. I have never heard of it being used for humidification. You are supposed to use disilled water.

I'm working on it, apologies - reading through all stickies now.

I'm Mark by the way, I live in Florida but am a U.K Citizen, I work as a pilot (flight instructor), smoke my cigars in the evenings whilst reading - perfect way to relax.

You've all been very helpful, thanks for your help. This place looks like a great resource, hope to tap the collective wisdom here to help me find what cigars are going to be best for me.

Still no INTRODUCTION.
Bad manners even for a one hit (question) wonder
Geez man, he's been active for a total of 12 hours - chill out.

Mineral water probably is pretty bad for a humidor. We use distilled water because of the absence of minerals - they help cause mold and can leave your cigars with a metallic taste. Using mineral water seems a little counterintuitive.

Not sure where you heard mineral water, bad idea. It is supposed to use distilled water, you want water without contaminants, not water with minerals added to it. 50/50 solution it really unneeded for something like that as long as you are using distilled water.:tu

Still no INTRODUCTION.
:tpd:Go make an introduction in the NEW GORILLA FORUM.

Already replaced....want to protect my babies,

I'm incubating the following right now:

Drew Estate - Java
Oliveros - Cha Cha Cha (I like the flavored ones sometimes)
Habanos Seleccion Supreme
Romeo Y J - Machuro Reserva
Monte Cristo - White
Rocky Patel Vintage '92

50/50 solution it really unneeded for something like that as long as you are using distilled water.

I disagree - the Propylene Glycol keeps the humidity down. With just distilled water, your humidity will escalate until all the water is gone. The Propylene Glycol keeps the humidity down at (supposedly) 70-75% RH.

Already replaced....want to protect my babies,

I'm incubating the following right now:

Drew Estate - Java
Oliveros - Cha Cha Cha (I like the flavored ones sometimes)
Habanos Seleccion Supreme
Romeo Y J - Machuro Reserva
Monte Cristo - White
Rocky Patel Vintage '92

I would stay away from storing flavored cigars with non-flavored cigars, generally a bad idea unless you want them all to taste infused :tu

Flavored ones have been banished from the main humidor. Thanks for the tip.

I am planning on firing one up this afternoon - any suggestions from the list above?

I forgot to mention I have a CAO MX2 also....looks dark and dangerous...i'm scared.

Those airtight travel humidors retain humidity so well, the main thing to watch out for is too much humidity. IMO, you can easily store cigars in that humidor without humidification for several months unless you live in a very dry climate. Besides, maybe you shouldn't be so fixated on 70%. Many knowledgeable cigar smokers prefer to maintain humidity closer to 65%.

Back