Matt's Lighter Fix/More Power Instructions

txmatt

Still Smitty's biotch!
I have discribed this procedure in numerous threads over the years. I think it should be much easier to show however. This procedure can "fix" a lighter that won't fire anymore and also give your lighter a bit more power/higher flame. This modification increases the flow rate of fuel to one more rapid than the manufacturer intended (although our fuel refill cans have lower pressure than what they usually originally fill them with). Excercise caution when doing this mod; you are doing so at your own risk. This will likely void any warranty on the lighter.

Here we have an AZEN NEO; a nice windproof lighter under $15 that AAlmeter reviewed last month. I ordered several but found the flame height was not to my satisfaction.

1yl5.jpg

Last edited:
In the below picture I have removed the rubber shell. (Most lighters lack the shell so I am not showing the procedure; it simply slides off.) What is important in this picture is the single screw in the center of the bottom of the lighter casing. The majority of the torch flame lighters I have owned have this single screw that holds the external case around the workings of the lighter. The fuel tank is separate and you aren't going to have fuel flowing out when you remove it. You can empty your lighter before performing this procedure if it makes you more comfortable, however having fuel in it will make adjustment easier in a later step. REMOVE THE SCREW.

2fj0.jpg

Last edited:
Once the screw is removed the body/casing will slide off in some fashion. This varies lighter to lighter but the most common direction is the casing goes down/the workings pull up and out. Below I have a picture of the workings about halfway out of the casing on the AZEN NEO.

3gz1.jpg

What is important in this picture is the black rubber O-Ring on the fuel adjustment dial. This lighter has both the fill valve and the adjustment dial in the same location. For lighters with them in separate areas the adjustment screw/dial is what is important.

Slide the Black O-Ring up and off of the dial. I use a small flathead screwdriver for this. On some lighters you may hear a little fluid escape if you put a lot of sideways pressure on the adjustment dial, do not worry if this happens.

4us8.jpg

The small metal ring with a tab on the end prevents the fuel adjustment dial from being turned any further. There is a block of some kind that this tab hits at the stop point. On this particular lighter the housing around the tab provides the stop.
To increase fuel flow rate beyond what was originally set we need to remove this tab, increase the flow to a new max point, and replace it. Usually only 1/4 turn is all that is required; you can light the lighter at this point and adjust it to a SENSIBLE level. Release the button and fire it again once you find the desired height as sometimes you will find it is a bit higher/lower on the next firing than it was if you adjust it while burning.

I again use a small flat blade screwdriver to lift the tab up and off the adjustment dial. The ring that the tab is attached to has teeth, use patience and caution while prying it off.

6oo9.jpg

Reverse order to reassemble and enjoy your now working / more powerful flame.

-Matt-

Last edited:
Cool!! Good deal there - have to try this on some volunteer donor lighters before I try it on my gooder ones - :D

Thanks!

Ron

If there is any question as to why the Legion targeted you as a deserving FOG, you just reinforced the choice. This should give about 5 of my lighters new life. Thanks alot Matt.:cool:

I have "saved" more lighters than I can remember by doing this. I was told how to do this 10+ years ago by a Colibri tech. GREAT write-up and pics Matt! I'm sure there will be many "saved" lighter reported.

Great post Matt. Mine has been running a little iffy lately, so I'm gonna set it to a slightly more that sensible level. No, I won't hold you responsible for any fires/loss of eyebrows.

Ya know, for a big flamer, you really are a heck of a guy.

Thanks for the in depth article! I used to do this to Bic's for fun (you remove the front medal piece...)

Great instructional piece there, Matt. Thanks. I've done something similar with some lighters, but I think I just yanked the tab stop out completely.

Its been a few months, topping this for new members to see.. I hope to take pictures of modifying another lighter soon..

Back