Mom's Best French Toast

Mister Moo

The Pinnacle of Style
You need bread twice as thick as normal sliced bread. Fresh spongey/poofy-type bread is required - the best is challah or egg bread but Sunbeam Texas BBQ Slices works great. Stale bread or coarser, very dense bread isn't going to cut it.

In a low sided bowl beat or whisk together:

1 1/2 cups milk (skim works but anything fatter is better)
5 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon (or more) of vanilla extract

Add bread so it is flat and soaking up the juice; when it gets heavy, cradle and flip it carefully (it's got to get a bit soggy) with a spatchet (or two spatchets) and let the other side get soggy. Let it get soggy about clear thru.

While the bread soggies up, heat a skillet or griddle and melt more butter on it than is probably healthy for a human. Do not ever let the butter burn or smoke or the toast will taste terrible. Place the soggy bread, which would otherwise rip in half if you didn't cradle it on the lift, in the butter and expect to hear a little sizzling sound. If it doesn't sizzle the griddle isn't hot enough. Cook to half-golden on one side; flip and cook to nearly black on the other side; flip again and cook to dark brown. The inside texture should finish off like a very moist cake. The sugar in the batter will add a slightly hard crust to the outside; it's the sugar that may turn black - don't worry if it goes it little dark looking if that what it takes to cook the batter through the bread.

Serve hot from the griddle. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with choice of syrup or toppings. A little shot of whipped cream get extra points. Crispy bacon alongside is double points.

15r0eg7.jpg

Eats best with premium coffee followed by a short cigar.

Last edited:
Looking at those pictures makes me hungry. I think I'll get me some French toast for lunch... Hey it's a rainy sunday afternoon. I think I need a little comfort food.

Keywords: doublethick, slice, poofy, soggy, vanilla extract, sugar, crispy outer shell, bacon, don't burn butter. :D

Looking at those pictures makes me hungry. I think I'll get me some French toast for lunch... Hey it's a rainy sunday afternoon. I think I need a little comfort food.
Simple pleasures... enhanced French Toast. Yum.

Beautiful Pics!:dr
I had french toast, bacon, and budwieser at my wedding! (It was a brunch).
Your post brought back some fond memories for me. Thanks.

What's even better, is to slice a little pocket in the bread from one side, and stuff the bread with a little jam (or for the gastronomes, some mincemeat!) and then dip and cook...

What's even better, is to slice a little pocket in the bread from one side, and stuff the bread with a little jam (or for the gastronomes, some mincemeat!) and then dip and cook...

No idea what mincemeat is.........

Though sounds like something similar to a monte cristo style..... get a sammich, batter the sob and fry it :dr:dr:dr

I made it this morning and it was great. I used texas toast as the bread. I had 2 slices and haven't moved much since:D

I'm about to make up a batch of these, I will let you guys know how they turn out

Mrs. Baird's Texas Toast will be the template

oh my lordy it was good. I used fat free half and half (not sure how that works exactly) instead of milk and it was superb. Thanks for the recipe Mr Moo!

Last edited:
...oh my lordy it was good. I used fat free half and half (not sure how that works exactly) instead of milk and it was superb.
There are french toast talkers and there are french toast doers - clearly you are a FTD. I would think half&half is a good call. Even fat free it would be a perfect match for too much butter and eggs. :D

It is great stuff, isn't it?

Back