My experience with lighters while on vacation.

tallypig

Gorilla
I just got back from a well deserved rest at the beach for a week. A lot of scotch was consumed and I smoked some great sticks-Oliva V, RP Summer, Taboo Twists-it was a good week. All except for %&$#@ lighters. I took 6 lighters with me:

Colibri Talon, Xikar Plunge, Xikar Element, Colibri something or other with a compass on the end of it (we'll discss this later), Zippo Blu and a Ronson $2.94 special purchased at Wally-World.

First and foremost, Colibri makes my a$$ hurt (figuratively). Their quality has sucked out loud for say.. the last three years. I bought this adventurer thing with the compass at my local B&M because he had Colibri on sale for 40% off. Gee-I wonder why it was on sale? Because they suck and he's not carrying them any more.

The Zippo was a huge disappointment and I think even Zippo would agree they need to stick to making soft flame lighters with a Globe and Anchor affixed to the side. It would leak fuel after the few times it would light.

The Xikars are also of concern because both have been sent back once to Xikar and have been "repaired." Both operated marginally well indoors and outdoors. Both took multiple strikes to light and would continually go out under normal conditions.

So, I was left with my Ronson. It performed flawlessly. I stopped at Wal-mart and bought them out. How is it that the $30.00-$50.00 range ones suck so badly and the $3.00 one outperforms them? And no, I'm not deep sea diving with these things or beating the hell out of them Many of these were never carried regularly and were "table lighters." I'm just disappointed with the quality of many of the lighters that are out there-I had hoped Xikar was the answer, but I'm unhappy with them also. Guess I'll send them back-again.

Stepping down from the soapbox and returning you to your regularly scheduled program....

:2

I just got back from a well deserved rest at the beach for a week. A lot of scotch was consumed and I smoked some great sticks-Oliva V, RP Summer, Taboo Twists-it was a good week. All except for %&$#@ lighters. I took 6 lighters with me:

Colibri Talon, Xikar Plunge, Xikar Element, Colibri something or other with a compass on the end of it (we'll discss this later), Zippo Blu and a Ronson $2.94 special purchased at Wally-World.

First and foremost, Colibri makes my a$$ hurt (figuratively). Their quality has sucked out loud for say.. the last three years. I bought this adventurer thing with the compass at my local B&M because he had Colibri on sale for 40% off. Gee-I wonder why it was on sale? Because they suck and he's not carrying them any more.

The Zippo was a huge disappointment and I think even Zippo would agree they need to stick to making soft flame lighters with a Globe and Anchor affixed to the side. It would leak fuel after the few times it would light.

The Xikars are also of concern because both have been sent back once to Xikar and have been "repaired." Both operated marginally well indoors and outdoors. Both took multiple strikes to light and would continually go out under normal conditions.

So, I was left with my Ronson. It performed flawlessly. I stopped at Wal-mart and bought them out. How is it that the $30.00-$50.00 range ones suck so badly and the $3.00 one outperforms them? And no, I'm not deep sea diving with these things or beating the hell out of them Many of these were never carried regularly and were "table lighters." I'm just disappointed with the quality of many of the lighters that are out there-I had hoped Xikar was the answer, but I'm unhappy with them also. Guess I'll send them back-again.

Stepping down from the soapbox and returning you to your regularly scheduled program....

:2
I agree with you, Bro! I have almost every lighter made and I still take my Ronson for dependability! I also like my Vector triple torch and my Blazer pocket torch!:tu

I have a cheap Colibri, a Ronson Jet Flame, and a dual torch from Taboo, and I almost always use the Ronson.:2

I think it may be hit or miss at Walmart. I bought my first one there and then it broke, and I couldn't find one at the local walmart.:ss My friend DrHalle came through and sent one in a bomb though.

I've had good luck with a Colibri Talon I received as a gift three years ago, and ST Dupont X-tend from last year.

The trick, atleast for me, is that they are properly purged before refilling. Once I figured that out, I haven't had any issues.

Colibri now has an "Eternal Flame Warranty" as of August 1st.

My cheapo (5.00) from my local b and m has worked flawlessly. Purging before refilling is crit as well as a good clean brand of butane.

Hexnut

I've got a no name cheapo I bought from my B&M that has worked flawlessly. I'd kind of like to have another cheap back up, but my Wal-Mart is always sold out of Ronsons

I've had good luck with a Colibri Talon I received as a gift three years ago, and ST Dupont X-tend from last year.

The trick, atleast for me, is that they are properly purged before refilling. Once I figured that out, I haven't had any issues.

Colibri now has an "Eternal Flame Warranty" as of August 1st.

And I guess that is what frustrates me even more-I use the good butane and have spent countless time purging the tanks and re-filling them. It has just been frustrating. I appreciate everyone's comments-at least I'm not totally crazy!

If I am around the house and have access to Vector butane, I find myself using my Ronsons as much as I use my Blazer Pocket Torch. When I go out I always take the Blazer because of the massive fuel tank and ease of checking fuel level. I gave up on Colibri several years ago. With the Rosons and the Blazer I have no need to experiment any further with other lighters unless I were to get a Dunhill.

I have a Xikar Executive and a handful of Ronsons. I was not able to find Ronsons at my local wal-mart, but picked up a bunch in NM and AZ when I went on vacation. I was skeptical that a $3 lighter would work as well as everyone said it would, but sure enough, it lights on every click. I gifted one to my buddy and my gf's dad and still have 4 left. I'm starting to regret not picking up more. My xikar seems to always need a refill and won't quite stay lit long enough to light a whole cigar. I think I'm going to let the xikar deteriorate a little more and I'll return it to the B&M I got it at for a replacement. That's the only reason I spent $25 on a lighter, the lifetime warranty. You really can't go wrong with the ronsons though. I think next I'm going to get myself a zippo and a z-plus insert.

Sad really. I had a Z-Plus insert that worked flawlessly for 3+ years. Then just stopped working. I decided to spend a little more and get an Xicar Plunge lighter. Brand new out of the box it only lights if the flame adjustment is at half or less. Anything more and the flame blows itself out. I'm using it for now, but will send it back under their liftime return policy. Looks like I'll buy another Z-plus.

The only place here in Socal that I've found them is at CVS about $6, but worth it, it always works...

Stomp'N'Rock,

Joseph

Back