My First Taboo--A Twist Robusto

JaKaAch

HopenchangeHopenchange
I don't do reviews often, I think this is only my second "official" review. Sorry no pictures..
But this was such a good, enjoyable cigar I had to share my thoughts on this one.
First I have to thank Major Captain Silly and Rob at Taboo for the Taboo Twist Robusto, MCS bombed me with box of Padron 3000 that he bought from Rob. A Robusto Twist was included with boxes purchased at that time for a promotion.

Ok to start off, what a great looking cigar. A well constructed barber pole, nice and firm with no soft spots.

I cut it with a Havana cutter and tested the pre-light draw which was perfect, real easy draw for such a firm feeling cigar.

Not much flavor pre-light, so out comes the Ronson Jet-lite..Lets get this baby fired up.

The first third was a little lighter, milder than most of the cigars that I like, but this Twist had a nice creamy flavor. It reminded me of a strong black coffee that had big shot of half & half and a couple of spoons of sugar that almost covered up the coffee flavor. It surprised me how the sweet and creamy flavors came through and lingered in the finish of each puff.

The second third changed, still a nice sweet smoke. But now along with the creamy flavors and texture it started to get more of a herbal, floral profile. Maybe taking more of the smoke in the nose brought out those flavors. There also was a touch of a nutty almond flavor sneaking in occasionaly..MAN what a great cigar.

At the half way point all these flavors were still there but they just seemed to get a little stronger, which in my opinion made the cigar even better. Very rarely do I stick a toothpick in a cigar so I can finish it down to the lip burning stage, but I sure did on this one, I didn't want this smoke to end.

The Twist Robusto was good clear to the very end, it never did turn bitter or sour like some cigars do.

I don't have much experience with CC's but this Twist kind of reminded me of some of the Fonseca CC's or Partagas Shorts that I have smoked.

Good job on this blend Rob!!:tu I'm going to give this a 9 on a scale of 10.

This is definitely on my get some more of these list. It should be on everyones get more list..

Jeff

Great review, Jeff. I agree with you .... the Taboo Twist that I had from dantzig was just as creamy and tasty. I really enjoy these as well ... my kind of cigar! Seems that Rob has got a consistent winner on his hands!

Once again ... great review. :tu

:chkGreat Review of another winner from Rob at Taboo. My biggest problem with the Taboo cigars is OK now what do I want to smoke. So many choices So little time.:chk

I think I'm ready to get on the Taboo cigars bandwagon. I've always been a huge fan of the shop and Rob but to this point the Taboo branded cigars have been just okay for me. I think part of it for me is that I have a hard time getting into a 'house' brand... because a manufacturer won't attach his name to the cigar it's not as good as his other stuff or something.

Wrong! I just had a perfect smoking experience with a Twist robusto. Perfect burn, tons of smoke and the most delightful medium coffee flavor with just a bit of pepper on the finish. The flavor is reminiscient of Oliva V only without the tight draw and flaky burn that has accompanied recent robustos that I've had. I guess this would make sense as I recall Rob saying some of his cigars are made by Oliva.

Plus I was mesmerized by the two-tone ash as a result of the twist wrapper. The only two downsides I can see to this smoke is the ring gauge (52?) is a little thicker than I seem to like lately. Also I don't care for the band, but that's definitely nitpicky. Anyway, I'm off to order a box of the petit coronas before that coupon expires.

GREAT review.

I smoked my first one yesterday and I would agree with everything you said.

My first Taboo cigar and I'm a fan! Ready to try some others.

What would people suggest to try now? I'm thinking of getting some of the SF.

I smoked my first Twist Robusto yesterday as I had purchased a box to take advantage of the coupon. I have to say it was a great experience!

I'm glad to have purchased a whole box instead of a sampler!

Thanks for the review.

I agree with your review and just recently purchased a box of Twists I liked them so much.

GREAT review.

Maybe the 10pk Sampler? The HSG, SFO, SFBC are all tied for a close second in sales. The rest of the blends are so close in sales, I can not tell you which one would be best for you without knowing your taste. The 10pk Sampler is the best way to go unless you want to sample sizes in a particular blend. None of the blends are "bad", but you will have your own favorites. Thanks to you and to everyone here for supporting Taboo Cigars. Please call us if you have any questions.
Rob

GREAT review.

I am still working my way through the 10 pack sampler I purchased.
And I keep pulling Taboo cigars out of the humi on a daily basis, they are outstanding.
Get that 10 pack, and try the Ecuador Connecticut, then the African Cameroon, followed by the Sumatra.
These three are excellent, and build upwards in strength.
I know I am a newb, but I cannot say enough good things about the taste of these sticks, and they are a bargain to boot.

Last edited:
I had my first Taboo Twist, Robusto last week. I jumped on the deal that Rob had going on the Twist sampler pack. WOW, what a great cigar. The review at the top of this thread is dead on. I have become a fan and look forward to trying the other Taboo lines. Thanks Rob. :tu

Maybe the 10pk Sampler? The HSG, SFO, SFBC are all tied for a close second in sales. The rest of the blends are so close in sales, I can not tell you which one would be best for you without knowing your taste. The 10pk Sampler is the best way to go unless you want to sample sizes in a particular blend. None of the blends are "bad", but you will have your own favorites. Thanks to you and to everyone here for supporting Taboo Cigars. Please call us if you have any questions.
Rob

I might give you a call in the next few days.

My taste is starting to evolve here in my newbness. :D

Just finished up a twist robusto myself. Great smokes. The complete lack of harshness is awesome, and the cool dual color ash is cool to show off.

Great job Rob.:tu

Man you guys are getting me really excited with my purchase of 8 taboos with rob today....Cant wait to get them

I smoked my first twist on Monday morning and as soon as I had nubed it I was on the phone taking advantage of the great discount that Rob was offering, nothing like waiting till the last minute. I would say you nailed it with your review, My experience nearly mirrored yours. What a great smoke and nice job on the review :tu

I guess this would make sense as I recall Rob saying some of his cigars are made by Oliva.

I was under the same impression and Rob indicated none of his cigars are made by Oliva.

I smoked a Twist Toro last week, same day the shipment arrived. While I did enjoy the cigar (and much more so than NUB Conn and CAO Anni Cameroon I smoked in the past couple of days) I decided to let the rest of the Twists sit tight for a week or two. Will smoke another one in the next few days.

I was under the same impression and Rob indicated none of his cigars are made by Oliva.

"Rob indicated none of his cigars are made by Oliva.":confused:

Sorry if there is some confusion here. The Twist blend is NOT made by Oliva.
Oliva makes some of the blends but not the HSG, SF, Exotic Blends or Twist.

I recommend if you like the Twist or you are thinking of trying the Twist, try all the sizes. They all will smoke slightly different. You should get a creamy, buttery taste with a slight slight spice. Some sizes more than others.

The Twist sampler is great to try.

Yea, I would say you hit that one on the head. I smoked it with some homebrew coffee (it had some combination of hazelnut, vanilla, and some other kinds of beans in it). But man did they combo well with it, it was almost like I was in heaven. For the smoothness, tastefullness, and the consistancy of a cigar from a cigar shop. All I can say is wow and awesome. Great Cigar, Rob cant wait til I try the others.

Based on the reviews here, I ordered 10 of the Twist Churchills yesterday afternoon. I'm really looking forward to these.

Looking forward to trying this one but with such a back log on "the next stick(We call them hog legs)" I need someone to throw a bigger humidor off the "slope/cliff".

Cannot wait to try it, thanks for the review.

Molar

Back