Review on new Zippo Blue Lighter

RPB67

In my office at the Bing
Found this on the net -

Los Angeles, June 28 – When you think of Zippo, you think of the endlessly dependable, liquid-fueled lighter – and its lifetime guarantee – introduced in 1932.

Because of the liquid fuel and the odors that accompany it, Zippos have not been the lighter of choice for cigar lovers, who prefer the odorless flame produced by butane gas. But that is about to change.

The Zippo Blu, a new lighter which uses butane and produces a single, torch-style flame, has been introduced in Europe and will debut in the U.S. in late August or early September, depending on where you are in the country.

We got our hands on one ahead of time and had a chance to put it through its paces. It’s an exciting new product:

• The Zippo Blu is a bit bigger than the standard Zippo: just short of 2 3/4 inches high compared to 2 1/8 inches for the standard model. The width is about the same although the standard style is a simple rectangle while the Blu is more rounded. Both fit easily in the hand and the heft of the Blu lets you know this is a serious product as soon as you handle it.

• Once you pop open the top – the Blu gives you the same familiar click as the standard model – the operation of the lighter is about the same. Zippo created an entirely new ignition mechanism for its butane torch, disregarding the piezo electronic system used in almost all torches.

Like the classic model, it uses a textured wheel that runs against a flint to create a spark. Unlike the fluid model, however, with the same motion of the thumb that turns the wheel, the depression of the feeder valve sends butane into the lighting chamber and brings the torch to life. The torch will stay lit for as long as you keep the fuel feeder depressed. The light blue, pinpointed flame is what gives the lighter its name.

• The Zippo Blu can easily be used with one hand and it’s easy to maneuver to deliver the flame where you need it to light even quite large cigars without much difficulty.

• The refill nozzle is on the bottom as with most lighters and there’s an easy-to-use fuel level window on the right side of the lighter.

And, best of all for those who have experienced torches which flunk out after a tank or two, the Zippo Blu – like the original – comes with a lifetime guarantee!

The Blu is reportedly expected to start at about $39.95 at retail upon introduction in the U.S. The model we used had an elegant, brushed silver case, but European web sites are showing a dozen designs in black, chrome, silver and gold finishes! Prices ranged from €65 (about $87.50) to €295 in 24-karat gold (about $397.00).

The only disadvantage we can report is that the user will eventually have to replace the flint, in addition to refueling. But this is easy to do on the standard Zippo and should not be much harder on the Blu. The same flint used on the standard model will work on the Blu.
%%pagebreak%% Zippo sold a butane lighter in the 1980s called Contempo, which was made for it in Japan. With the torch-flame Blu model, the company has fully updated its line to satisfy cigar smokers and the Blu will undoubtedly be a popular addition to the company’s roster as soon as smokers can get their hands on them. Overall grade: A: Exceptional.

Thanks for the info. I guess Zippo saw the popularity of the butane inserts and decided to go one better with the genuine article. I'd like to have one, and I use an X-Tend now.

The one thing that always annoyed me was when I'd have a nice filled lighter, go to light my cigarette (back in those days) was going to light it only find the wheel wouldn't turn because I had used my last millimeter of fliint on the last light. Why in the world wouldn't they atleast enter the last half of the 20th century,let alone the 21st, and ditch the flint?

If I wanted a zippo torch I'd STILL go with an insert.

The one thing that always annoyed me was when I'd have a nice filled lighter, go to light my cigarette (back in those days) was going to light it only find the wheel wouldn't turn because I had used my last millimeter of fliint on the last light. Why in the world wouldn't they atleast enter the last half of the 20th century,let alone the 21st, and ditch the flint?

If I wanted a zippo torch I'd STILL go with an insert.

I think that Zippo knows there is a great nostalgia value in thier lighters and hope to keep them as close to original as possible. And perhaps they think a flint striker is more reliable than the piezo spark...no little electrode to worry about...

found this

1160414029.jpg

I lost interest in these when I found out they used flint. When you're ready to light up is a poor time to find out you used the last of the flint. In all of the many butane lighters I've owned, I can only thing of one who's piezo ignition gave up the ghost. I also wonder about the flint residue being deposited on top of the burner over time and whether this might cause problems.

They'll have to be pretty good for me to loose interest in my $3.00 Walmart Ronsons (that have a click very similar to Zippo and do have a "quality" feel to them).

WyoBob

Even if I never use it, I'll definitely be buying one to try.

Zippo is a company I trust, through and through, not only to make a quality product, but to deliver with it exceptional customer service. I consider Zippo to be a model of how a business should be run from the customer's end.

Thanks for the info. I guess Zippo saw the popularity of the butane inserts and decided to go one better with the genuine article. I'd like to have one, and I use an X-Tend now.

I get that feeling now too. I think Zippo is kidding themselves with that hefty price tag for their lighters. Even at $40 I would rather stick with the inserts from Blazer. The Blazer Zippo insert IMHO is the best lighter on the market period! I still use mine regularly and I love it. I simply do not envision myself or many others who purchased the Blazer just grabbing the $40 Zippo.:2

ATL

Thanks for the review. I dodn't mind changing a flint here and there. A small price to pay to get that classic Zippo click, and roller ignitor. Can't wait to get one.

:ss

I bought my wife a zippo w/ the insert for Xmas this past year and she loves it. I'd be curious to take a look at the new one when it becomes available, but I doubt I'd pick one up. Part of the appeal of the my purchase was the universal appeal of Zippos. They are all the same. If the new one is different, it loses that appeal!

...because I had used my last millimeter of fliint on the last light. Why in the world wouldn't they atleast enter the last half of the 20th century,let alone the 21st, and ditch the flint?

I lost interest in these when I found out they used flint. When you're ready to light up is a poor time to find out you used the last of the flint.

That's why you should always have a spare flint stored in the bottom of the lighter. That too frustrated me the first time it happened, but then I found out there's the little hole in the cotton, so ever since I've had a spare flint in there. Flint just ran out and I can't light up? Not a problem...I've got the spare.

I don't know what people's infatuation w/ the blazer z-plus inserts. i've owned about 10 of them and they are absolute garbage.

That's why you should always have a spare flint stored in the bottom of the lighter. That too frustrated me the first time it happened, but then I found out there's the little hole in the cotton, so ever since I've had a spare flint in there. Flint just ran out and I can't light up? Not a problem...I've got the spare.

ya beat me to it thunderbucks-i keep mine under the cotton though, it always seemed to fall out the hole when i went to refill

Well I have the ZippoBlu and I love it, now as for storing the flint, since this isnt the traditional zippo there is no where to store a extra flint on the lighter itself, but I just carry the Ronson Flint pack the little flat yellow card like thing with flints in my wallet. I got mine a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it.

Joe

Back