Review: Z-Plus Torch Lighter Insert

Product: Z-Plus
Type: Torch Flame Lighter Insert
Manufacturer: Blazer
OVERALL SCORE: 93

BACKGROUND: The Z-Plus torch flame lighter insert is a butane refillable, wind-resistant, lighter replacement that will work with most Zippo-type lighters. With the Z-Plus, you can bring your old flint-based, lighter-fluid-filled lighter into the 21st Century. Just swap and go.

SET UP AND USE: Score: 96
The setup for the Z-Plus lighter insert takes less time than it took you to read this sentence. You just pull out the old lighter insert and replace it with the Z-Plus. That’s it. It couldn’t be quicker or easier. The Z-plus will work with most metal flip top lighter cases (like Zippo and others). And you can easily swap between a traditional or torch flame by simply swapping out inserts.

FUNCTION: Score: 88
As a lighter, the Z-Plus is adequate. It throws a nice flame that is plenty robust and can be adjusted. (However, it’s a minor irritation that you have to pull the insert out of the lighter shell to adjust the flame.) Though touted as wind-resistant, the flame is no more resistant to wind than any other torch flame and shares the same deficiency as other butane lighters when used outside: namely, you can’t see the flame in bright light. Nevertheless, it gets the job done and, in my opinion, is a far sight better than a traditional flame lighter for lighting cigars.

The insert has a generous butane reservoir that will provide many consecutive lights. I took mine on vacation recently and it made it through a two-week trip without needing a refill (about 8-10 cigars).

For those of you who travel by air, a Zippo lighter represents the only "legal" lighter that can be transported by air… under certain conditions, of course. First, it has to be a ZIPPO LIGHTER PACKED IN AN OTTERBOX ZIPPO CARGO CASE http://www.otterbox.com/products/zippo_case/ and even then, it must be contained in checked baggage. No exceptions.

According to airline regulations: “Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the DOT exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case.” The Otterbox is the only DOT approved lighter case and it must contain a Zippo. The bigger question, however, is, “Can the Zippo lighter be a Z-Plus modified version and still meet the legal requirements?” Hmm…. frankly, I have never called attention to this MINOR DETAIL. None of the airline staff have asked, and I have not volunteered.

The warranty on the Z-plus is minimal (one year from original date of purchase) and original proof of purchase is required. Warranty coverage ends when a products becomes unusable for “reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.”

VALUE: Score: 95
The Z-Plus represents a great value. It’s relatively cheap and is very versatile, given that you can use it with nearly any Zippo-type lighter shell. That means you can have a butane torch lighter at the ready for any occasion. For knocking around, choose your older, beat-up lighter case, and when out on the town, choose your gold-leafed monogrammed model. Whenever I’m away from home, my Z-Plus and a couple of Zippo shells go with me. The Z-Plus insert is truly a lighter for every occasion, mood and geographical location. I recommend highly. A Stogie Fresh Gold Star Rating.

The Doc

Thanks for another great review. I was just wondering about the Z-Plus insert the other day. I'd misplaced my Colibri and was out shopping for a new lighter. I knew there was a torch insert for Zippo lighters. My B&M didn't know anything about them so couldn't provide me with any information.

I think I'll have to go out and buy a Zippo now.

i miss mine. Need to see when I can get it back. Been using a small welders torch to light up for the last week, which holds a lot of butane and works great as long as you see how long the flame is!

Nice Review!

I have this lighter & I like it but I think I might have a defective one. I have to refill it more often then what you posted & after I let go of the trigger it would stay lit for a sec or two. Is that normal? Maybe I just need to adjust it? It came with no directions. Do they have a website where we can fill out a warranty card like Xikar has on their site? I suck at lighters! :mad:

Last edited:
Biggspeed said:
Nice Review!

I have this lighter & I like it but I think I might have a defective one. I have to refill it more often then what you posted & after I let go of the trigger it would stay lit for a sec or two. Is that normal? Maybe I just need to adjust it? It came with no directions. Do they have a website where we can fill out a warranty card like Xikar has on their site? I suck at lighters! :mad:

Good point, I forgot to mention that the lighter tends to stay lit for a few seconds after letting go of the striker. This seems to be a common feature of the Z-plus. Some inserts are worse than others when it comes to this type of leakage. And, yes, that would influence the time between refillings. My lighter doesn't stay lit long. Less than a second. I'm not sure but it may help to bleed the torch between fillings. Be sure to bleed the last bit with the nozzle pointing toward the ground. This may reduce the air pocket that might be, at least partially, responsible for the effect.

I posted the URL for the company web site. But, alas, their warranty is not the same as Xikars. In all fairness, torch lighters in general are not likely to have the unconditional lifetime warranty.

Doc

Dr. Stogie Fresh said:
Good point, I forgot to mention that the lighter tends to stay lit for a few seconds after letting go of the striker. This seems to be a common feature of the Z-plus. Some inserts are worse than others when it comes to this type of leakage. And, yes, that would influence the time between refillings. My lighter doesn't stay lit long. Less than a second. I'm not sure but it may help to bleed the torch between fillings. Be sure to bleed the last bit with the nozzle pointing toward the ground. This may reduce the air pocket that might be, at least partially, responsible for the effect.

I posted the URL for the company web site. But, alas, their warranty is not the same as Xikars. In all fairness, torch lighters in general are not likely to have the unconditional lifetime warranty.

Doc

Good to know. I will definately try that bleeding process. Thanks Doc! :)

I LUV my Z-Plus insert. This is by far the best lighter I have ever had. I love Zippos to boot, so having a seriously great rock solid torch lighter inside the Zippo makes it even better. I swear if they ever quit making them I am gonna switch to matches!

ATL

Dr. Stogie Fresh said:

Doc

They seem to do this less as they get older Doc. I've had the two we have for almost a year and their not nearly as bad now. Been very pleased with them to this point.

floydp said:
They seem to do this less as they get older Doc. I've had the two we have for almost a year and their not nearly as bad now. Been very pleased with them to this point.

Seal me in my crypt with my Z-Plus insert and Blueface's humidor!

ATL

I have two of the inserts and love them. They are plenty strong like you say...I get about 8-10 cigars lit as well. At around $10 they are at just the right price point that I won't get upset if they only last a year or two!!!

I love my Z-plus. To hell with Colibri (I know, that company hasn't even come up in this thread but I just wanted to throw that in there:D)
I do believe that there is room for improvement, ie: a real adjustable flame, mine is so high at the lowest setting that I could burn my nose if I'm not careful, and of course a bigger fuel tank. Other than that it is awesome.

My Z-Plus used to have that "problem" if you will, about staying lit after releasing the striker. It happened for the first few lights, and after that it went away and completely shuts off when the striker is released. The reservoir is friggin huge! It was only about 1/4 fill and survived a herf, lighting and re-lighting around 7 cigars.

I couldn't find anything to change on the Z-Plus, though I hate having to bust out a screwdriver to adjust the flame on any lighter, I'd rather have a little thumbscrew or something instead.

ATLHARP said:
I LUV my Z-Plus insert. This is by far the best lighter I have ever had. I love Zippos to boot, so having a seriously great rock solid torch lighter inside the Zippo makes it even better. I swear if they ever quit making them I am gonna switch to matches!

ATL
:tpd:
Of all my lighters it's my personal fav. It just seems to work better and better as time goes on. Plus having a zippo is always a bonus. :)

:D
I love my Zippo, didn't like lighting my cigars with it ( Rosonol ), I picked up an insert from Heartfelt and have been very pleased with it, nice solid flame for a sinle burner.Great lighter and you can still use your favorite Zippo :2

I just bought one from www.Famous-smoke.com , works great , the only problem is the flame adjuster , hard to move without a tool of some sort . This product makes me wonder why Zippo didn't come out with it . :sl

If you must have a zippo, this is an option... Just don't have it in your back pocket when you sit down like I did because you'll here a snapping sound that kind of compromises its structural integrity.

800017ql.jpg

Bubba -NJ said:
I just bought one from www.Famous-smoke.com , works great , the only problem is the flame adjuster , hard to move without a tool of some sort . This product makes me wonder why Zippo didn't come out with it . :sl
I think the reason is that the Z-Plus isn't made in the USA. It might not go over well with the vets who made the Zippo among the most desirable and collectible pieces of true Americana. :u

Another kick-ass review, Dr. Stogiefresh.

I love the character of my Zippo and the Z-Plus makes for a great marriage of technologies.

It took the 3rd refill of my Z-Plus to get it working right. Follow the bleeding instructions from The Lighter Guy. That got mine tweaked well and I'm probably getting a dozen stogies out of a refill, easy.

I noted in a different reply that the Zippo doesn't come with a Z-Plus option because the insert isn't made in the USA :u. That's Zippo's choice and I respect it.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18906&highlight=lighter+bleed+butane

Back