Springfield Hygrometer ($6.47) from Wal-Mart

roughrider

Maturing Primate
Springfield Precise Temp Hygrometer
Price: $6.47
Place: Local Wal-Mart

I picked it up at my local Wal-Mart near the paints, glues, etc. section.

It requires a 1 AAA battery (not included) to operate. It has a magnetic strip on the back of the pager-like clip to attach it to metal surfaces. It also has a pin designed to turn the clip into a stand. It has a button to change the Temp reading from F to C. It also has a Max/Min button. Do you basic salt test and you should be good to go.

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

After the salt test:

The humidity was on target at 75%.

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

Verdict:

I'm finding it to be more precise than my $22 Hygroset adjustable hygrometer. For $6.47 you really can't lose.

+ It's cheap and you can find it locally. :tu

^^^ Was thinking the same thing. One other thing that caught my eye was the hygro is rated at an error margin of +/-5%. That's a pretty large margin of error. Of course, one you know how much it is off it's no problem.

Rev.

Bought the exact same hygro from Wal-Mart a few months ago.

Did both the salt and Boveda Humidipak test. Both at 72*F and both for 36 hours. Final reading was 81% for both tests. +6% deviation. Not very accurate.

I may be wrong, but that looks like too much water for the salt test. The salt should be damp, but not soaked. I can see water puddled on top of the salt. :2
It just needs to be a saturated salt solution from what I understand. So the puddle is fine.....you just need to have salt crystals present in your solution or it is not saturated.

I know alot of people have had problems with these hygros from Wal-Mart but i have had mine for about 2 years now & it has allways been dead on.I just think it is a hit or miss thing when finding one of these that are inaccurate.I have bought two & both are very accurate.For the price there ok.:chk

It just needs to be a saturated salt solution from what I understand. So the puddle is fine.....you just need to have salt crystals present in your solution or it is not saturated.

From CigarsInternational:
Dampen the salt with water. Do not put so much in that the salt gets "sloppy". You want a damp pile of salt in the bottle cap.

From somewhere else on the web:
Place about a teaspoon of salt in the bottle cap and drip just enough distilled water on the salt to get it wet. If done right, it should have a thick, pasty consistency, not watery. Place the cap and the hygrometer face-up in the baggie, so you can read it.

Back