Sugar and Smoking

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback
As it is very known around here from my education on ths site that Sugar can prevent a Nicotine buzzz,

Now here my question, but would love to have it answered by people that know and have tried these ideas.

I'm on a 0 sugar diet for a few years, By choice not by orders of any doctor or health pro. I need t stay this way so I don't get real over weight.
So my question is this, is there anything else that would replace real sugar to prevent that buzz for an example I was thinging maybe apples,bannas, mayb cherries? don't know but will it do the same thing?? Part of my problem is I'm afraid to try a good full Cigar because I can get a migrain headache. Any other Ideas??

I did learn a few other prevention's for my self from my own experiences.
#1 never to smoke when I'm missing sleep, if I'm over tired.
#2 If I'm constipated or need to go to the Bathroom.
#3 Not to smoke in a hot room.
#4 Not to smoke when I'm hungry.
#5 And never smoke when you think your not feeling well.

This is what I can rember now.

Any other Ideas?????????

Last edited:
As it is very known around here from my education on ths site that Sugar can prevent a Nicotine buzzz,

Now here my question, but would love to have it answered by people that know and have tried these ideas.

I'm on a 0 sugar diet for a few years, By choice not by orders of any doctor or health pro. I need t stay this way so I don't get real over weight.
So my question is this, is there anything else that would replace real sugar to prevent that buzz for an example I was thinging maybe apples,bannas, mayb cherries? don't know but will it do the same thing?? Part of my problem is I'm afraid to try a good full Cigar because I can get a migrain headache. Any other Ideas??

I did learn a few other prevention's for my self from my own experiences.
#1 never to smoke when I'm missing sleep, if I'm over tired.
#2 If I'm constipated or need to go to the Bathroom.
#3 Not to smoke in a hot room.
#4 Not to smoke when I'm hungry.

This is what I can rember now.

Any other Ideas?????????

I think you did a good job of covering the basics. I would add that I try not to smoke when I have headaches. I find that smoking oftentimes exacerbates the headaches and more susceptible to the nicotine toxicity.

Any kind of sugar-free soda works good for me.If you don't like soda a piece of sugar free candy before smoking should help.:2

Fruits with simple sugars in them are great. Banannas and apples will fit this bill.

I think it's along the same lines as don't drink on an empty stomach. I always find myself affected more by nicotine on empty. Best of luck

D

Does your diet allow Splenda?

I believe it is derived from sugar so it should still have some of the benefits when you get too much of the vitamin N, but if it is a sugar derivative you might not want it in your diet.

I think the issue with having sugar available while you smoke is that it's a quick fix to counter any negative affects of nicotine. What you're really trying to do is get your blood glucose level in line. Starchy foods & natural sugars (fruits, like you mention) should help, especially prior to smoking.

Yes I use Splenda,

Does your diet allow Splenda?

I believe it is derived from sugar so it should still have some of the benefits when you get too much of the vitamin N, but if it is a sugar derivative you might not want it in your diet.

The sugar free powder mix stuff that you can get at Walgreens....pink lemonade or fruit punch or rasberry lemonade...etc etc.

You mix it with water and you are set!

I like lemonade because it cleanses the palette.

I know several people that have blood sugar issues and they swear by strawberries (more than any other fruit) - they can get the sweetness they want without spiking their blood sugar. I'm no health professional or nutritionist, so I have no idea how that all works, but I'm just relaying what I've heard. Perhaps you can get the sweetness to fend off the green monster without sugar.

I was thinking about this some more after mikeyj's post. By "0 sugar diet," do you mean you have just eliminated processed/refined sugar,and things like HFCS?

If that's the case, you can easily subsitute 100% fruit juice or honey to get the same quick fix affect as sugar. My wife's an insulin-dependent diabetic, and nothing helps correct her lows faster than Tropicana Pure Premium OJ.

But I would still go with the "full stomach" solution as first preference. :2

Exactly. I just don't eat Candy, snacks, Soda, We allmost never cook with sugar, anything that has sugar added, is a no for me, but as ?I said before its somthing I chose t do on my own since I was on the south beach diet a few years ago. Another thing I need to stay away from is startch.

But now that you say OJ I never drink juice, only decaf coffee and water( occasionaly good dry wine)
Maybe I should drink a small bottle of orange juice with a Cigar, isnt it like a orange??
I was thinking about this some more after mikeyj's post. By "0 sugar diet," do you mean you have just eliminated processed/refined sugar,and things like HFCS?

If that's the case, you can easily subsitute 100% fruit juice or honey to get the same quick fix affect as sugar. My wife's an insulin-dependent diabetic, and nothing helps correct her lows faster than Tropicana Pure Premium OJ.

But I would still go with the "full stomach" solution as first preference. :2

I think having a good meal before a strong cigar will be your best bet. It doesn't have to be a high-carb meal but working in some complex carbs would be good. While your body is processing the meal, your blood-sugar will be higher and should stave off a bad nic buzz. If additional assistance is needed, honey should do the trick as mentioned previously.

What are you thinking about smoking?

I won't smoke when I'm starving and that's about the only time. I also won't smoke a large stogie when I'm in a rush...that's why I love the little pequenos.

Back