Turning old stand up freezer into a humidor

I have an old stand up freezer that we are no longer using. I would say it is about 25 years old. I unplugged it and cleaned it up. The seal on the door is in great shape and stays tightly shut. I am thinking of turning it into a humidor, although it is probably too big. It is about 5.5 feet high, four feet wide and four feet deep. I really didn't want to spend the cash on spanish cedar for shelves so I was thinking of just using a bunch of empty boxes and beads, along with my full boxes of course! This is down the cellar which stays cool during the summer and room temperature during the winter. Should I be concerned about not using a humidifier? Will using the empty boxes and beads be sufficient? I appreciate any suggestions.

I don't think you want a completely air tight seal. You do need at least a small amount of air circulating - either naturally of with a circulation fan. Old freezer might have some risidual odors - be careful. I would remove the inner lining and line it with cedar myself and remount the shelves or (preferrably) make shelves out of cedar. I know that's more costly but the fear of plastic infusing with my smokes would scare the hell out of me. I would think you would still need some humidity. You can just do a test and see. Cool concept though. I can picture a cigar band collage on the outside - lacquered to make it last.

I have been using a Frigidaire Freezer for well over a year now. Works perfect.

Simply wipe down the interior - toss in your boxes and you are good to go. Now do you need an active humidification system - depends. I use a Johnson Controller (similar to THIS). As the compressor runs - the coils condensate - the fans blow across the coils humidifying the air - I use beads to keep everything at a constant 65%. Mine works perfect. In the winter time though - the compressor does not run enough sometimes so I do turn on the Oasis as needed - or, over wet some of the beads.

Don't try to over think it. Keep it simple. Clean, add boxes/smokes - add beads and/or humidifier if needed. That's it.

Ron

Have an old freezer I use, about 12cf. I removed the compressor, cleaned it up inside using bleach/water and let it sit a couple of days in the sun, tossed in a few plank's of spanish cedar, 3 lb's of 65% beads, 3 battery operated fans, cigars and it works great. Keeps RH dead on. More than happy with it.

just open it up evry now and then, youll be fine. the problem is you have to fill it up:hn

I would rather try to convert it into a kegerator and use a vinotemp as a humidor. Just shows how screwed up my priorities are.:r

Do it bro...it would be such a great humidor!!!

You got that right!! I have an Aristocrat Plus 48 & the Freezer-dor. $1,700 vs $100 (including accessories). One is mighty pretty and the other ain't quite as attractive but also does the job.

Go for it!!

Back