Uh-oh... beetle trouble?

e22byrnes

ChestBeater
So I sat down with a RyJ Cabinet Seleccion last night and it was a fine smoke. However the whole time I was examining the smoke I kept seeing little white "specks" in the ash. I heard no crackling of any kind. I was wondering if this is (gasp!) beetle eggs? I have examined my other smokes and them seem to all be fine except for one cigar has a chip on it that doesn't look to be a beetle hole.

I was wondering, since I didn't think to take any pictures, if someone could post some pics of a beetle stogie when smoked. If the pictures look like my cigar, then into the deep freeze my collection goes. If not, I can sleep a little easier tonight. Thanks!:tu

I hope thats the case, but anyway, you better keep them on your side of the souther tier, Don't get'em anywhere near mine. Or i could put them into quarintine for ya over at my place. I'll be sure to destroy any that i find to be suspicious:ss

I think they are oil glands or something in the tobacco itself.

I agree. Seems like you see this in newer cigars that have more moisture in them.

Exactamudo! Small oil deposits. You can really them blow up if you stick a torch very close to the ash.

You will know if you have a beetle. They produce perfect, small round holes. There are plenty of pics of them floating around here at cs.

If in yous find an beetle holes in your precious sticks the best way to remedy the problem is to burn them dead or alive.:ss If you are unsure send them to me & i will make sure i show no leanency towards them.:chk

Thanks to all for subsiding my fears. They were definitely just the cigar grain.

Or i could put them into quarintine for ya over at my place. I'll be sure to destroy any that i find to be suspicious:ss

^^^Thanks for the generous:)BS) offer. If you had told me they were beetles than maybe I would have sent them over to you. Too late now, they're MINE!:gn:ss

I didn't think grain or the residuals were the result of oil, rather the result of fertilization with magnesium and potassium.

Yep. As I understand it, as result of the fertilization with mag and potassium the small deposits are left.

Back