Western Caliber III Digital Hygrometer

nik944

Young Ape
I have noticed a lot of questions latley about which brand of digital hygrometer to use so I decided to tell everyone about the Western Caliber III and why I think it is the best choice to go with. All cigar enthusiasts ask which hygrometer they should trust to monitor thier prized cigar collection, and with all the different models on the market today it's no suprise. However when I came across Western Humidor and saw the Caliber, I knew it was the best, hands down.

Their reputation in the cigar industry is well known and the products speak for themselves. The first Western Caliber was manufactured in 1994 and has a 14 year history of being the most accurate digital hygrometer manufactured today. The Caliber III is the third model and each model was tested extensively before they were released. It boasts +/- 1% accuracy for temperature and humidity and comes with a five year replacement warranty against any defects in materials or workmanship. Each unit comes with an attached metal plate and same size magnet with a peel adhesive for easy placement wherever you like. I don't think you can find a better digital hygrometer that works and lasts.

With this in mind, I have added a special on the Caliber III to the Retail Board this week. Please feel free to ask any questions, I look forward to talking to you.

Nik Garvin
Bargain Humidors
nik@bargainhumidors.com

They are on sale at BargainHumidors as we speak . $14.99 each I believe . I've got 3 . They are steady and consistent . :tu

Just salt tested mine and the paranoia that I had in regards to them being inaccurate was unfounded. My Caliber III was off by only one percentage point...very reasonable. My only problem is that the screen sometimes goes out.

Just salt tested mine and the paranoia that I had in regards to them being inaccurate was unfounded. My Caliber III was off by only one percentage point...very reasonable. My only problem is that the screen sometimes goes out.

They have a +/- 1% error rate - so that is pretty much as good as it gets.

The batteries that are shipped with the units are not very good. I would just get a new battery, that should fix the screen going out or at least that has worked for me.

Nik,

Are these resettable in case they are off when you get them?

These units are not adjustable. I know a lot of people like the adjustable models, but I have never had a problem with these. Maybe I have just been lucky. :D

Nik,

Are these resettable in case they are off when you get them?

There should be a plastic tab to pull that exposes the battery inside to start the unit. If it is not working when you do this or if anything is wrong you need to call Western. In order to reset the unit all you do is remove the battery for a moment and then slide it back in. If you like you can call us with any questions.

Nik Garvin
Bargain Humidors
nik@bargainhumidors.com

Happy Smoking:ss

I have been running one of these in my 500-ct footlocker for about 2 years now, with no problems so far. Works perfectly, may be off by 1%. It has just started to dim a bit, but I am sure a new battery will fix that, as soon as I get around to it. I intend on getting another one, probably for my new cooler.

Bring back the Vicksburg!

Why not? I salt test all four of mine every six months and have for over 3 years. No problems. :tu
Probably because of the corrosion factor....

But an 8-12 hour exposure isn't going to kill a hygrometer especially since it's stored in a VERY humid environment with all sorts of acidity in the environment of a humidor.

I have ordered 2 Western Caliber III's (at different times) from bargainhumidors.com ($19.99 shipped - great response time!!:tu)

My only concern is that one read 74% Rh and one read 77% Rh :mad:, after Boveda calibrating them with calibration pack (done twice), but the temp was the same:tu.

Supposedly they are within 1% +/-, but alas are reading 2-3%Rh off EACH.

Any chance bargainhumidor will exchange them??? at least the 77% one...

Next time I might go with an adjustable from heartfelt etc...

Will keep you posted.

(These are NOT adjustable, nor read out to a decimal:mad:, but love the size and ease of use.)

:ss

I've got three and I have never had a problem. I'm in the market for one or two more. The SLOPE has got me in a bad way my friends.

I have ordered 2 Western Caliber III's (at different times) from bargainhumidors.com ($19.99 shipped - great response time!!:tu)

My only concern is that one read 74% Rh and one read 77% Rh :mad:, after Boveda calibrating them with calibration pack (done twice), but the temp was the same:tu.

Supposedly they are within 1% +/-, but alas are reading 2-3%Rh off EACH.

Any chance bargainhumidor will exchange them??? at least the 77% one...

Next time I might go with an adjustable from heartfelt etc...

Will keep you posted.

(These are NOT adjustable, nor read out to a decimal:mad:, but love the size and ease of use.)

:ss

I have four of them and they all read slightly differently. Just remember what each reads and add or subtract that 2-3%. I marked mine with a silver sharpie to remind me of what % they are off. I would also do a regular salt test on them.

Not a fan of boveda. They are a waste of good money, imo.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1808318&postcount=3
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1808354&postcount=5

Last edited:
I have four of them and they all read slightly differently. Just remember what each reads and add or subtract that 2-3%. I marked mine with a silver sharpie to remind me of what % they are off. I would also do a regular salt test on them.

Not a fan of boveda.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1808318&postcount=3
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1808354&postcount=5

Was wondering why you do not care for the Boveda Humidipak to calibrate your hygros?

They claim to be more accurate than the salt test.

I'm new to all of this so just looking for some reliable info.

Back