Why Robustos?

8ptstars

Young Ape
I'm a pipe guy, and the cigar thing is fairly new to me so I have one strange question.

Why are all the bargans and sales for robustos?

Whenever I open a flyer or catalog or special web bargain page it's always short sticks with a big ring. Samplers are the same way.

I'm a cheap SOB, does that mean I'll be forever stuck smoking logs?

Where are the "buy 3, get 2 free!" deals on coronas?

I'm a pipe guy, and the cigar thing is fairly new to me so I have one strange question.

Whenever I open a flyer or catalog or special web bargain page it's always short sticks with a big ring. Samplers are the same way.

Robustos are one of, if not the most, popular cigar sizes.

For me personally it is just that it is a "quicker" smoke. A Churchill can take me 1 1/2 to 2 hours while a robusto only takes me 30 to 45 minutes. With three kids and another on the way time is at a premium...:ss

I think another reason is that some cigars are more difficult and/or more costly to roll, ie: figurados, and some of the small rg cigars etc. Samplers are geared towards introducing you to the line of cigars...then if you like what you are smoking, the cigar co. hopes you will try different sizes in that line.

Last edited:
I didn't know that robustos were so popular. But it's what I like to smoke. I like the feel of it - ring size and weight - in my mouth. It lasts about the right amount of time for me - 60 to 75 minutes.

Of course, there are always exceptions. I just bought a box of corona size cigars after trying one. I loved the taste and didn't want to experiment with a new size (and possibly a new taste) when I bought the box. Also, these were moderately expensive. I figured if I was happy with what I had, why spend more on the robusto and not even know if I was going to like it as much.

I like robustos too. It seems that the larger the ring size, the cooler it smokes (all other factors being equal).

Thats what makes the robusto the most popular size. A fat ring gage for good flavor and not too long. The other bonus is that I can fit more robustos in my humidor than churchills:tu

Where are the "buy 3, get 2 free!" deals on coronas?[/QUOTE/

They are in the cigar mags that are dated 1975.........

Jerry in Minnesota.

I, like many others also like the robusto size, but have lately really dug the smaller ring gauges, to include the coronas. Take a look at the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro coronas. They are widely available from damn near everywhere including C-Bid for 2.00 a stick or even as low as 1.20 or so a stick with shipping from CBID, can't be beat.

I've always been a robusto guy but I find myself preferring a smaller ring gauge similar to a corona of late. I think what I prefer is the 'perfecto' if I can find it...they're about a 46 ring gauge and 5" long.

I like Coronas...sometimes more flavor there. But Robustos=Follow the Money! That is what the companies make the most of and that is what people buy. Just My Humble Opinion!:ss

For me personally it is just that it is a "quicker" smoke. A Churchill can take me 1 1/2 to 2 hours while a robusto only takes me 30 to 45 minutes. With three kids and another on the way time is at a premium...:ss

Wow, I could have written exactly the same words, including the words "three" and "another on the way"!

:ss

Im going to have to agree with what some people on here have said already. I thought I liked coronas until I tried a robusto I really like the cooler smoke that a robusto offers and the amount of time it takes me to smoke it is just about perfect. :2

Another angle of the Robusto is the cultural icon.

A lot of people who try their first cigar go for something with an outrageously big RG. You don't see many 7x60+'s, but you see a LOT of 4x60's, so I think the "half-chewed, unlit, fat stump-stogie" icon appeals to some people their first time around.

I like the robusto size because it's a quick smoke and has plenty of flavor like most others have said. If I've got nothin planned for the day, a churchill is a fun way to kill time. Especialy a nice tasty giant CAO Gold :)

- Tyler

For some odd reason to me a robusto size cigar taste better than their counterparts. I found this to be evident in the Anejo line of gars. It is a great introduction to a line of cigars with this vitola. :2

For everyone saying that the robusto is a quick smoke, the OP was asking why robustos compared to coronas, not churchills. I stared with toros and robustos, but have been moving to smaller RG cigars, which seem to be richer to me. At this point, a robusto takes me 1:30 minimum, not what I'd call a quick smoke :2.

For everyone saying that the robusto is a quick smoke, the OP was asking why robustos compared to coronas, not churchills. I stared with toros and robustos, but have been moving to smaller RG cigars, which seem to be richer to me. At this point, a robusto takes me 1:30 minimum, not what I'd call a quick smoke :2.

Totally agree

I too started with the large RG sticks and found that I was drawing too quickly on them. The smaller RG smokes make you slow down so they don't overheat. I prefer Corona, Petite Corona, or Lonsdale size cigars. I can make them last at least an hour, whereas the Robustos are over an hour most of the time (I rarely nub a robusto since they get soft and hot at the end)
I wish Habanos S.A. would stop following the large RG trend :mad:

Back