Wild claims from B&M salesguy.

kansashat

What would Skeeter do?
I stopped in a B&M today to pick up a few cigars. I got a Nording robusto, an Edge Missile, & an Edge Missile maddie.

I don't have these particular smokes in my collection & am fond of the Nording.

The salesguy, seems nice (I gave him a Padilla Habano robusto), tried to get me to place a box order because he knows I have a fairly sizable collection from previous conversations.

I explained that I live 120 miles from the city, smoke a coupla cigars a day, & get most of my smokes on-line.

He just couldn't resist throwing a rock.......a big wild-ash rock too.

He proceeds to tell me that the General cigar rep told him that they band & box up seconds to send to the on-line vendors (selling them as firsts) & that the firsts are sold through the B&M's.

Then he tells me that Rocky Patel told him that the cigars sent to the B&M's have an extra wrapper leaf plus they use better quality tobaccos in the B&M "versions" of their popular brands.

To prove these claims, he tells me a story about some damaged Ghurkas that he bought from Thompson claiming that the cigars were sold cheap to Thompson's that way because they were split.

I didn't say much, but couldn't resist saying that sometimes salespeople will tell you anything to make you feel better (or worse as the case may be).

He, of course, re-acts a little defensively to this comment & says that he'd heard it straight from the man.......Rocky.

I thanked him & left.

I stopped in a B&M today to pick up a few cigars. I got a Nording robusto, an Edge Missile, & an Edge Missile maddie.

The salesguy, seems nice (I gave him a Padilla Habano robusto), tried to get me to place a box order because he knows I have a fairly sizable collection from previous conversations.

I explained that I live 120 miles from the city, smoke a coupla cigars a day, & get most of my smokes on-line.

He proceeds to tell me that the General cigar rep told him that they band & box up seconds to send to the on-line vendors (selling them as firsts) & that the firsts are sold through the B&M's.

Then he tells me that Rocky Patel told him that the cigars sent to the B&M's have an extra wrapper leaf plus they use better quality tobaccos in the B&M "versions" of their popular brands.

To prove these claims, he tells me a story about some damaged Ghurkas that he bought from Thompson claiming that the cigars were sold cheap to Thompson's that way because they were split.

I didn't say much, but couldn't resist saying that sometimes salespeople will tell you anything to make you feel better (or worse as the case may be).

He, of course, re-acts a little defensively to this comment & says that he'd heard it straight from the man.......Rocky.

I thanked him & left.

Thats a little outrageous....

Even though I am an idiot to most cigars...Even that story wont fly past me. Who would believe him?

Wow what a loser...dude the online cigar business is usually more successful than a B&M. Why would they get seconds???

I can't believe that.

How would they keep track ?I always thought most internet buying came from some B&M anyway ?

I was a little surprised that he was spouting that nonsense myself. Can you imagine the logistic prowess it would take to for a manufacturer/shipper to pull off a feat like that? Not to mention it would mean that you would be sending your crap to your largest market (kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face).

His frustration is apparently getting the better of him. I'll go back in a month or so......perhaps he'll be in a better frame of mind.

Did he try selling you any beach front property in Arizona or perhaps a bridge in Brooklyn? Let him know, that another, and from the sounds of it, a smarter B&M employee told him that his claims are outrageous...if I were you I would try contacting both Rocky Patel and General Cigar...they too will tell you he is trying to pull something over on you...

I thanked him & left.

I smell a CONSPIRACY! :D

Well it's understandable that a B&M may try to say something wild in an attempt to get customers to not shop online....but that's such a wacky story...

why not keep customers by just providing a good fair price and real solid knowledge??

A little update.......

I smoked 3 cigars yesterday, 2 of them were the "superior" RP's.

1. After getting home........Edge Missile corojo. Just ok....I won't be buying a box of these.

2. Skyping with some strange monkeys.......La Aurora 1495 robusto. I love this cigar! Hmmmmm, bought it from one of those dotcomm sites...

3. Enjoyed the 1495 so much.......Edge Missile maddie. Just didn't hit the spot for some reason. Perhaps I smoked too soon after smoking that 2nd I bought from an on-line vendor.

A little update.......

2. La Aurora 1495 robusto. I love this cigar! Hmmmmm, bought it from one of those dotcomm sites...

I got a sampler of these,,dark ,,rich,,shiny wrapper,,I have had two of the five and they were very good.. Very expensive to buy a box,,but imho probably worth the cost..

Jerry in Minnesota.

Did he try selling you any beach front property in Arizona or perhaps a bridge in Brooklyn?

If you'll by that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free..

Yeah like the old turbocharged is in the floor model only trick. Doesn't everything you buy from Cbid come from CI? Which is a B&M correct?

the guy buys from thompsons, that right there tells you all you need to know.

salesman = bullshitter

Now that is wild. It seems that there are always salesmen like that in anything. Willing to tell outlandish stories to make a sale.

I am more likely not to buy from folks like that.

Hope he settles down for ya. :)

Got some more bs : see post

Was at one of my b&m's the other day and one of the guys there told me that General Cigar was going to try and put a stop on sales of their entire line online. Anyone heard about this?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
" I thought the slope would level out "
:cb
<!-- / sig -->

It could happen I could understand the business of it. And if it happened at the source at a minimum General could drive down the amount of stock available on line, this would drive up the price of thier offerings which is exactly what they want.

I thanked him & left.

that's crazy...

maybe that's what happens at HIS internet store... assuming he has one. if he does, I would not purchase anything at his internet store.

This is very common of salesmen. I was in a Sunglass Hut looking for a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses. They didn't carry any and so the salesman proceeded to tell me that they were cheaply made anyway and not worth the price. This is not true at all and he said this only because they did not carry them. Let the buyer beware!

Back