If you were to buy 1 box of cigars.... What do you suggest I buy for my 1st box?

mrreindeer

Gorilla
Okay, this is a multi-faceted thread.

First, I'd like to know what ONE box of cigars you'd buy if you could only buy ONE. Please take into consideration that you're suggesting that I buy this ONE box.

I have only begun seriously smoking cigars earlier this year. About 1 or 2 a week, sometimes 3, a weekend warrior, if you will. So it'll take me a while to get through that box along with my other sticks. I better like this box! :D

I like pretty flavorful cigars so I usually lean towards medium to full-bodied smokes, with emphasis a bit more on the full-bodied.

I have never bought a box of cigars. I did win a box of Gurkha G5 Avengers which are quite nice and lasting forever. Already careening down the slope, I picked up a Vino on Sunday for storage. So, I gotta get the thing regulated & smelling like a humidor and not so much like a plastic blowup doll...uh.... So, I figured buying a box was a step in the right the direction.

I won't offer up any suggestions for you on what I've smoked and like (other than what I've given away above & in my sig line) so I want you to think about this long & hard and give me your honest opinion.

Perhaps there's a thread on here about your 5 cigars to take with you when you're deserted on an island. I just want THE ONE (imagine The Matrix of cigars).

Please just tell me YOUR choice. And don't worry if it's duplicated on here because I really want to know what you recommend for me.

After a bit, I'll tally up the duplicates, the most often mentioned, and for the second part of this little experiment, I'll post a poll to help me in my final decision.

You all were really really helpful in my last poll (vino, humi or other?) and I'm looking to you once again to guide me along my slope (imagine you are my 'ask the audience' or 'phone a friend').

Thanks so much!:tu:tu:tu

Boy are you gonna get a lot of answers on this one.

Buy what you like, not what others tell you to like.
As a newb you should get a LOT of 5-packs. Do box splits on CS for cigars you can't find locally.

Just wait until you discover c-bid or even CC's. Yikes.

For me, right now I would buy a box of CoRo's or Monte #2's.

buy a lot of singles, five packs, and various samplers. smoke enough till you find 4 or 5 cigars that you really like and then pull the trigger. Thats just my opinion, and kinda what i did as a newb.

buy a lot of singles, five packs, and various samplers. smoke enough till you find 4 or 5 cigars that you really like and then pull the trigger. Thats just my opinion, and kinda what i did as a newb.
:tpd: Even though I disagree with his obvious bad taste in baseball teams (just kidding of course) I agree completely. Buy a bunch of samplers, and try to find your cigar. I would certainly try the sampler pack from Taboo. Very impressive selection for the price, and not a bad stick in there IMHO.

Ive smoked a bunch of ghurkas and wouldnt even consider the brand in general as a high end holy grail cigar like they are marketed.

I would never buy a box without smoking 2 or 3 of the cigar to make sure I liked it. I think you should go on cigarbid and buy a bunch of 5'ers and a bunch of singles to try then look into buying a box of what YOU like:tu

:tpd:

But I can tell you that Im into Oliva Vs right now. Med-full with good amount of spice. The taboo twist torpedo is also a great stick that Im picking up a box of at my first opportunity

:tpd: Even though I disagree with his obvious bad taste in baseball teams (just kidding of course) I agree completely. Buy a bunch of samplers, and try to find your cigar. I would certainly try the sampler pack from Taboo. Very impressive selection for the price, and not a bad stick in there IMHO.

Thanks, are you a cub fan?

Man, I tell ya, you can't go wrong with a box of Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixotes.
Great cigar for around 40 bucks a box.
It's a nice starter choice on the way to some nicer and more expensive smokes.
Being a newb, you should really hit the Newbie Sampler Thread. Do a few trades, then try some fivers at the WTS board.
If you'll drop me a pm with your address and a few of your "likes", I'd be happy to throw together a few odd smokes for you to try out, including the Quixote I mentioned.
That's another good way to broaden out and find out what you like.
Be patient, it takes time. And it's fun. :)

Buy lots of singles and then buy a box of your favorite... For me I think I would buy a box of Oliva V Figurados. :ss

Great stuff, fellas. Keep 'em coming.

I definitely understand what you mean and appreciate the :2:2:2 you guys are throwing my way. I'm absolutely sampling, perhaps not as many as I should before buying a box but I want to have done the necessary research for when I'm going to pull the trigger. You know, perhaps I'll come upon an amazing deal at my B&M (I usually do on singles!) or perhaps I'll finally step up and check out c-bid or some online shop (I haven't yet) and see wow, Opus X box for $50, unreal. I've never tried one, but I think I'd like it! :ss:ss

Of course, I've tried several of the ones you're recommending so going in on a box wouldn't be absolutely blind. Unless I'm feeling adventurous (and perhaps a bit stupid). But I'm sure I'd try one or at least two before buying the box if I haven't tried it yet.

I usually go in to my B&M and ask, 'So hey, what am I going to try this time?' and he recommends some good sticks for me. So I look to you guys for your one box choice and then we'll do the poll and then maybe I'll narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then try them if I haven't already.

But I do appreciate your insight, thank you!

On to some particular posts but this doesn't mean I didn't read all of them because I did and appreciate each and every one. You guys rock.

Med to full. Tons of flavor

Gurkha black dragon or dragonfire

You won't regret it.

I've actually had a black dragon robusto Shawn, nice cigar! And damn funky yet cool boxes them Gurkhas. The Avenger box looks like a spaceship.

I would certainly try the sampler pack from Taboo. Very impressive selection for the price, and not a bad stick in there IMHO.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time.

Ive smoked a bunch of ghurkas and wouldnt even consider the brand in general as a high end holy grail cigar like they are marketed.

They certainly have some great marketing, don't they?

Man, I tell ya, you can't go wrong with a box of Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixotes.
Great cigar for around 40 bucks a box.
It's a nice starter choice on the way to some nicer and more expensive smokes.
Being a newb, you should really hit the Newbie Sampler Thread. Do a few trades, then try some fivers at the WTS board.
If you'll drop me a pm with your address and a few of your "likes", I'd be happy to throw together a few odd smokes for you to try out, including the Quixote I mentioned.
That's another good way to broaden out and find out what you like.
Be patient, it takes time. And it's fun. :)

Wow, well, helll Scott, now I have to buy some beads from you. :D I actually meant to PM you earlier. Forgive me for not doing so. PM now sent. :D:D

Next time you are out towards temecula.

Let me know. I'll give you a dragonfire.

That I haven't tried & I'm on my way. :ss

Sancho Panza Double Maduros Quixote +1

Great smokes for the price.

I would stick to samplers too for now, or cheaper bundled cigars. I like the RP Vintage 2nds and the Liga Line from CI (they are more RP seconds. I have the Liga A, they are RP Edge seconds).

The other nice thing about Cigars Int. is you can buy a box, smoke one, decide you doing like it, and send it back for a full refund. If you smoke more than one stick, they pro-rate the refund. They also pay for return shipping.

Good luck to you. :)

Back