Zippos and stogies?

Wolfgang8810

SilverBack
Ive heard that zippos shouldnt be used in to light up a stogies. What is you alls take on this? I know its ok to use with pipes if you let it burn for a few secconds to get rid of the chemical taste. Sugguestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

MArk

Someone tried to get me to do this over the weekend, and I refused. From what I have been told, zippos (because they use gas and not refined butane) will leave a taste no matter how long you let it burn - it is a factor not of the initial burst but of the fuel that is actually burning. I've never tried it, but I always go for at least a bic, but usually a Xikar torch. My :2

I think the fuel itself is what will cause the odor/flavor change. I have no experience with pipes, but with cigars it is highly frowned upon because of this. Butane torches burn clean (as far as odor) which is why they are favored. Wood matches (once you can get past the sulfur) are considered second (OK, first w/ some I would assume) or lighting cedar strips, as the odor is a good thing in that case.

Hope this helps...been smoking for a while but certainly nothing to compare w/ some of the BOTLs out there!

:ss

depends on how anal you want to get-zippo's new fuel has less odor than the original-after letting it burn for a few seconds, i don't mind it-i usually use a torch though since they light quicker

I recommend the Z insert by Blazer. It's a nice insert so you can keep the nostalgia you get with a Zippo. :tu

i personaly use the new Zippo Blu, colibri firebird, or my sippo with the Zflame insert for lighting cigars i was just wondering what the take on it is here on CS. Ive never used a oil burning zippo for any cigar. Please dont frown on the new kid for asking questions lol j/k

With the new zippo fuel, my feeling is that the odor and taste factor is over rated. My problem with using a Zippo outside is that the flame is too hard to control in a wind. I end up burning myself before the cigar is lit due to the flame blowing all over the place.

I used a zippo for a long time until I got a PB-207. I never had odor problems with my zippo, but the torch does such a good job that I pretty much gave up on the zippos.

I LOVE my Zippos!!! I use Walgren`s fuel and dont notice any taste. The wind has a real effect on lighting, as does the heater blower in my truck. I also use butane torches, and Z-Plus, but 80 % are lite with Zippo.

I have a zippo, and use zippo fuel and ronsonol. never had a problem with smell/taste.

that said, recently I bought a ronson jet lite butane torch.... $4, compared to the z-plus insert at $12.

the jet lite works great.

Never used a zippo for a stogie... have always used a butane lighter. Using the Ronson JetLite most recently. :tu

I really don't like the smell of zippo fuel, even before I started smoking cigars. It does IMHO impart a foul taste, even back in the day when I smoked cigarettes:pu.

Butane is the only way to light a cigar. With Ronson lighters being so cheap at Walmart, why bother with anything else? The only exception to this rule is a strike on box match but those are frequently impractical.

Butane is the only way to light a cigar. With Ronson lighters being so cheap at Walmart, why bother with anything else? The only exception to this rule is a strike on box match but those are frequently impractical.
I love the smell of Naphtha in the morning.:D

Back